Giovanni Francesco Giuliani
Lisetta Rossi graduated in Venice with the highest honors, and followed this with chamber music courses at the Academy of Santa Cecilia with Riccardo Brengola.
She took further course in the Alexander technique as well as in the Feldenkreis, Taijiquan and Stanislavskij methods.
As a soloist and player of chamber music she has participated in national and international festivals in Italy, France, Portugal, and Germany, she has played as a first harp with orchestras that include Maggio Musicale Fiorentino, RAI in Milan, Turin and Rome, Teatro Sao Carlos in Lisbon, Oporto Symphony, Teatro Massimo in Palermo, Teatro Carlo Felice in Genoa, under the direction of Maestros: R. Muti, R. Chailly, R. De Burgos, R. Barshai, G. Bertini, E. Inbal, L. Berio, G. Gavazzeni, V. Delman and C. Tielemann.
With the latter she has performed the K299 Concerto for flute, harp and orchestra by Mozart. She has performed in radio and recordings for RAI, Erato, Amadeus and Memories.
She is currently Professor of harp at the "G. Verdi " Conservatorio in Milan, a position she has held since 1994, and has conducted master classes and workshops in Italy and abroad. She has been invited to give courses at schools and music conservatories in Lisbon, Oporto, La Spezia, Monopoli, Castelfranco, Pescara, Carrara.
Since 1994, many young Italians and foreigners harpist have followed her courses, seminars and master classes taking advantage of her teaching, which reflects the artistic and professional experience in solo, chamber and orchestral.
She plays in duo, trio and quartet, harp, with flautist Alessio Bacci and the ensemble Sounsev.
Number of CDs: 1
Producer: Sigrid Lee
Recording Mode: Stereo
Giuliani: Harp Sonatas
Composer Giovanni Francesco Giuliani c.1760–1818
Format 1 CD Jewelcase
Cat. Number 94305
EAN Code 5028421943053
Single Action Harp Lisetta Rossi
Artist: Lisetta Rossi
Title Of Album: Giuliani - Harp Sonatas
Year Of Release: 2012
Label: Brilliant Classics
Total Time: 01:18:54
About this release
The composer and musician Giovanni Francesco Giuliani (c.1760--1818) lived and worked in Florence during an immense flourishing of creativity during the late 18th and early 19th centuries; this era witnessed, among other events, the founding of Pietro Nardini's prestigious music school, premiere performances of important new works, and a choir and new instrumental ensembles, all influenced by the creation of a small state court with close links to Vienna. Within this climate, Giuliani worked as an orchestral and operatic violinist and music teacher, and was known for his instrumental compositions.
Not only is this recording of interest because of its focus on a composer whose work is rarely performed, yet who lived within a time of great musical creativity, harp sonatas were rare during Giuliani's era, and the repertoire heard here is part of just a few examples of this type of work. While the early sonatas tend to feature the standard instrumental sonata form, later pieces often contain prelude or interlude movements of a freer or improvisatory nature. All, however, are similar in their use of the Galant style, with predictable harmonic and tonal structures, chordal accompaniments, and simple, flowing melodies.
The repertoire featured in this recording is complemented by the use of an Erard harp from 1818, performed by Lisetta Rossi.
- Rare repertoire, by a relatively unknown composer
- Part of the Tesori Musicali Toscani project, which aims to promote relatively unknown Tuscan music from the 16th to 18th centuries
- Booklet notes included, in English and Italian.
5.0 out of 5 stars A discovery January 26, 2013
By A. Andric
This very pleasant CD contains a collection of twelve short sonatas for solo harp in a consistent gallant style, reminding of early Haydn. The composer, to me completely unknown Giovanni Francesco Giuliani, worked in Florence by the end of XVIII and beginning of XIX century. The music sounds pre-classical, although at that time the classical epoch in music was already approaching its end.
So far away from early romanticism, this music is bright, unproblematic, lively and transparent. You'll find in it neither a sense of drama nor complicated, deep feelings. Nevertheless, these rare, ephemeral, charming pre-classical gems are well crafted, there is much variety in tempo and form, and Lisetta Rossi's performance on a period instrument is convincing.
These clearly cut, crystalline, concise pieces are obviously also miles away from impressionist sound so easily related to harp. They are closer to relatively small amount of delightful music written for harp in the classical style, like sonatas by Dussek and Woelfl, all worthy of discovering.
01. Sonata No.9 in F major - I. Allegro vivace (00:46)
02. Sonata No.9 in F major - II. Larghetto (01:37)
03. Sonata No.9 in F major - III. Allegro assai (00:48)
04. Sonata No.9 in F major - IV. Allegro non tanto (01:26)
05. Sonata No.9 in F major - V. Allegro (01:47)
06. Sonata No.10 in B flat major - I. Larghetto (02:11)
07. Sonata No.10 in B flat major - II. Allegro assai (00:38)
08. Sonata No.10 in B flat major - III. Tempo di Minue (00:28)
09. Sonata No.10 in B flat major - IV. Allegro (01:06)
10. Sonata No.10 in B flat major - V. Allegro (01:57)
11. Sonata No.8 in F major - I. Allegretto con variazioni (02:00)
12. Sonata No.8 in F major - II. Preludio: Allegro (00:40)
13. Sonata No.8 in F major - III. Sostenuto (02:05)
14. Sonata No.8 in F major - IV. Allegro (01:29)
15. Sonata No.5 in E flat major - I. Preludio: Allegro (03:05)
16. Sonata No.5 in E flat major - II. Allegro grazioso-Allegro (02:30)
17. Sonata No.2 in B flat major - I. Andante (03:29)
18. Sonata No.2 in B flat major - II. Minue - II Minue (02:32)
19. Sonata No.2 in B flat major - III. Allegro (01:58)
20. Sonata No.12 in C major - I. Andantino con variazioni (04:59)
21. Sonata No.12 in C major - II. Sostenuto (01:01)
22. Sonata No.12 in C major - III. Allegro con grazia - Allegro assai (02:05)
23. Sonata No.3 in E flat major - I. Moderato (01:32)
24. Sonata No.3 in E flat major - II. Larghetto (01:38)
25. Sonata No.3 in E flat major - III. Allegro (02:56)
26. Sonata No.11 in E flat major - I. Andante sostenuto (03:03)
27. Sonata No.11 in E flat major - II. Larghetto (01:29)
28. Sonata No.11 in E flat major - III. Allegro (03:15)
29. Sonata No.6 in C major - I. Andante con variazioni (04:13)
30. Sonata No.6 in C major - II. Maestoso (01:04)
31. Sonata No.6 in C major - III. Grazioso - Presto (02:01)
32. Sonata No.4 in F major - I. Allegro non tanto (02:01)
33. Sonata No.4 in F major - II. Andante sostenuto (01:03)
34. Sonata No.4 in F major - III. Allegro (01:23)
35. Sonata No.1 in C major - I. Andante (02:36)
36. Sonata No.1 in C major - II. Minue (00:57)
37. Sonata No.1 in C major - III. Allegro (02:49)
38. Sonata No.7 in B flat major - I. Andante con variazioni (02:28)
39. Sonata No.7 in B flat major - II. Allegro (00:53)
40. Sonata No.7 in B flat major - III. Larghetto - Allegro - Allegro assai - Anda... (02:36)