Now updated-the proven guide to taking control of your finances
The bestselling Personal Finance For Dummies has helped countless readers budget their funds successfully, rein in debt, and build a strong foundation for the future. Now, renowned financial counselor Eric Tyson combines his time-tested financial advice along with updates to his strategies that reflect changing market conditions, giving you a better-than-ever guide to taking an honest look at your current financial health and setting realistic goals for the future.
Inside, you'll find techniques for tracking expenditures, reducing spending, and getting out from under the burden of high-interest debt. Tyson explains the basics of investing in plain English, as well as risks, returns, investment options, and popular investment strategies. He also covers ways to save for college and special events, tame your taxes, and financially survive the twists and turns that life delivers.
Want to take control of your finances once and for all? Managing Your Money All-in-One For Dummies combines expert money management with personal finance tips. From credit cards and insurance to taxes, investing, retirement, and more, seven mini-books show you how to improve your relationship with money — no matter your age or stage of life.
This easy-to-understand guide shows you how to assess your financial situation, calculate debt, prepare a budget, trim spending, boost your income, and improve your credit score. You’ll find ways to run a money-smart household, reduce waste, and cut medical and transportation expenses as you tackle your debt head-on and develop good saving habits. You’ll even get help choosing the right mortgage and avoiding foreclosure, saving for college or retirement, and determining your home-, car-, and life insurance needs. Discover how to:
Take charge of your finances
Manage home and personal finances
Lower your taxes and avoid tax audits
Plan a budget and scale back on expenses
Deal with debt and negotiate with creditors
Save and invest safely for college or retirement
Protect your money and assets from fraud and identity theft
Ensure a comfortable retirement
Plan your estate and safeguard a will or trust
Since 2002, commodities have outperformed every other asset class including stocks, mutual funds and real estate. If you’re itching to get in on the fun and profit, Commodities For Dummies is the resource you need to find out how to break into the commodities market and understand how to trade and prosper.
How commodities stack up against other investment vehicles
How to identify, manage, and overcome risk
The pros and cons of futures, equities, ETFs and mutual funds
Specific techniques for analyzing and trading in commodities
Powerful profits in energy—crude oil, natural gas, coal, nuclear, and alternatives
What you need to know about trading in metals—precious and not-so-precious
How to grow your portfolio with farm products
Featuring time-tested rules for investment success, this comprehensive, user-friendly guide helps you minimize risk, maximize profit, and find the shortest route to Easy Street.
In recent years, metals have been among the safest and most lucrative investments around, but they are not entirely risk free. Before you begin investing or trading in metals, you need authoritative information and proven investment strategies. You need Precious Metal Investing For Dummies.
This straightforward guide eases you into the precious metals market with sound advice on trading and owning these profitable investments, including gold, silver, platinum, and uranium, as well as high-demand base metals such as zinc and copper. You’ll learn how to research their market performance and choose among an array of proven trading plans and strategies. Plus, you’ll get savvy advice on how to choose a broker, buy stocks and futures that involve metals, maximize your investment return, and minimize your risk. Discover how to:
Evaluate the different metals
Add metals to your portfolio
Decide whether you’re an investor or a trader
Identify your metal-investment goals
Weigh the risks and benefits of metals investing
Buy physical metals
Use technical analysis to evaluate opportunities
Make long-term investments in precious metals
Diversify your metals investments
Analyze base-metals companies
Purchase numismatic coins
Add metals to your mutual fund or ETF portfolio
Understand how politics effects metals prices
If you’re trying to kick the “Buy Now/Pay Later” habit and get your spiraling debt under control, you need Managing Debt For Dummies now! This practical, commonsense guide provides straightforward strategies for coping with every kind of secured and unsecured debt, including, personal loans, car loans, mortgages, home equity loans, lines of credit, credit cards, finance company loans, and student loans. You’ll find out how easy it is to:
Distinguish between good and bad debt
Go on a “debt diet” to get back into financial shape
Start a filing system to track debt and protect life after debt
Adopt a smart spending regimen
Increase your income
Consolidate your debt
Decide which bills to pay when you can’t pay them all
Use credit cards responsibly
Stock Investing For Dummies, 3rd Edition includes information on stock investing in both bear and bull markets; unique investment segments; stock investing for different types of situations; and examples straight from the real world of stock investing as they have occurred in the past three years.
Looking for practical ways to make every dollar count? This savvy guide gives you expert tips for tightening your belt and saving cash in every area of your life -- from your house and car to dining and entertaining to banking and managing debt. You get realistic solutions for making smarter choices and living well in this time of economic turmoil -- without extraordinary sacrifice!
Bump up your take-home pay-- spiff up your resume, find a good job fast, explore telecommuting, or start a home-based business
Get your personal finances in tip-top shape -- create a budget, pay down debt, save on insurance, and protect your retirement funds
Develop recession-proof habits -- use coupons and rebates, extend the life of your wardrobe, utilize community resources, travel on a budget, and save on utilities and fuel expenses
Decorate on a dime and entertain on a shoestring -- plan parties, celebrate the holidays, and give gifts without losing your shirt
Bounce back from bad financial situations -- improve bad credit scores, and negotiate with creditors or the IRS
Bonds and bond funds are among the safest and most reliable investments you can make to ensure an ample and dependable retirement income — if you do it right! Bond Investing For Dummies helps you do just that, with clear explanations of everything you need to know to build a diversified bond portfolio that will be there when you need it no matter what happens in the stock market.
This plain-English guide explains the pros and cons of investing in bonds, how they differ from stocks, and the best (and worst) ways to select and purchase bonds for your needs. You'll get up to speed on all the different types of bonds and discover how to know when it's time to sell and how to get the best prices when you do. Find out what you need to know about:
Buying and selling bonds and bond funds
Measuring bond risks and returns
Taxes on bond interest and tax-free bonds
Customizing and optimizing your bond portfolio
Common bond-investing mistakes and how to avoid them
"Risk-free" U.S. Treasury bonds
Tax-free municipal bonds
High yield corporate bonds
The pros and cons agency bonds
Convertible bonds, derivatives, and other exotic offerings
Are you nearing (or already basking in) retirement? This helpful guide addresses the unique financial opportunities and challenges you'll face as you enter your golden years.
Personal Finance For Seniors For Dummies empowers you to chart your financial course for the decades to come, guiding you through the basics of creating a budget for retirement, investing accrued assets, taking advantage of governmental and nongovernmental benefits and planning for your family's future. You'll get trusted, practical information on reexamining investment strategies and rebalancing a portfolio, long-term care options, pension plans and social security, health care, Medicare, and prescription drug costs, and so much more.
If you want to diversify your portfolio and lower your risk exposure with hedge funds, here’s what you should know: Hedge Funds For Dummies explains all the different types of funds, explores the pros and cons of funds as an investment, shows you how to find a good broker, and much more.
Authored by Ann Logue, a financial writer and hedge fund specialist, this handy, friendly guide covers all the bases for investors of all levels. Whether you’re just building your first portfolio or you’ve been investing for years, you’ll find everything you need to know inside:
* What a hedge fund is and what it does
* How hedge funds are structured
* Determining whether a hedge fund is right for your portfolio
* Calculating investment risk and return
* Short- and long-term tax issues
* Developing a hedge fund investment strategy
* Monitoring and profiting on macroeconomic trends
* Evaluating fund performance
* Evaluating hedge fund management
If you’re investing for the future, you definitely want to minimize your risk and maximize your returns. A balanced portfolio with hedge funds is one of the best ways to achieve that sort of balance. This book walks you step by step through the process of evaluating and choosing funds, incorporating them into your portfolio in the right amounts, and making sure they give you the returns you expect and deserve. You’ll learn all the ins and outs of funds, including:
* What kind of fees you should expect to pay
* Picking a hedge fund advisor or broker
* Fulfilling paperwork and purchasing requirements
* Performing technical analysis and reading the data
* How to withdraw funds and handle the taxes
* Tracking fund performance yourself or through reporting services
* Hedge fund strategies for smaller portfolios
* Performing due diligence on funds that interest you
Who doesn't have questions about managing finances these days? Stephen Nelson translates his years of expertise as a CPA and tax expert into this plain-English guide that shows you how to manage your finances with the nation's leading personal finance software, Quicken. Trying to keep track of your credit card expenditures? Starting to save money for a college fund? Managing your household expensess? Steve's straightforward advice shows you how to take control of your money, without being an accounting wizard. Discover how to
* Get started with Quicken and maintain your checkbook on your computer
* Access your account information and pay bills online
* Manage your 401(k), IRA, stocks, and bonds
* Get up to speed on the new enhancements and changes in Quicken "X"
* Track your deductions and plan for tax time
* Capture your small business and personal expenses in one place
Are you concerned about your pension? In today’s tumultuous business environment, you have every right to be. With revised pension laws and under-the-table pension cuts by companies making waves, you have to be ever vigilant about protecting what you have.
Protecting Your Pension For Dummies helps you do just that. This easy-to-follow guide explains all the latest pension laws, what your rights are, and the best ways to keep your money safe. It demystifies the various types of pension plans and outlines just what it takes to qualify for a pension. Once your plan is set up, you’ll see how to navigate company bankruptcies, mergers, and pension cutbacks, as well as divorces, loans, and personal bankruptcy—and take action if you’ve been shortchanged to recoup what is rightfully yours. You get all the expert guidance you need to:
* Understand the Pension Protection Act of 2006
* Evaluate different pension plans
* Plan for retirement while you’re working
* Ensure that you get your pension
* Request essential plan documents
* Understand eligibility, accrual, and vesting
* Guard your pension from your employer—and from life’s ups and downs
* Understand pension distributions
* And much more
In 2008, 9.9 million Americans became victims of identity theft. The cost exceeded $48 billion in 2008; consumers spend some $5 billion out-of-pocket each year to clear up resulting fraud issues. This guide will help keep you from becoming the next victim.
Written by a veteran security professional, Identity Theft For Dummies gives you the tools to recognize what information is vulnerable, minimize your risk, stay safe online, and practice damage control if your identity is compromised.
* If you have a name, a date of birth, and a Social Security number, you're a potential victim; this book helps you recognize your risk and defend against identity thieves
* Explains what identity theft is, how it happens, and how to recognize if you have become a victim
* Shows how to protect your personal information, how to be discreet in public places, how to interpret your credit report, and why you should monitor your financial statements
* Helps you recognize risks you may not have considered, such as what you set at the curb on trash day
* Provides advice on how to clear your name if you are victimized
Want to follow in Warren Buffett’s investing footprints? Value Investing For Dummies, 2nd Edition, explains what value investing is and how to incorporate it into your overall investment strategy. It presents a simple, straightforward way to apply proven investment principles, spot good deals, and produce extraordinary returns.
This plain-English guide reveals the secrets of how to value stocks, decide when the price is right, and make your move. You’ll find out why a good deal is a good deal, no matter what the bulls and bears say, get tips in investing during jittery times, and understand how to detect hidden agendas in financial reports. And, you’ll uncover the keys to identifying the truly good businesses with enduring and growing value that continually outperform both their competition and the market as a whole. Discover how to:
* Understand financial investments
* View markets like a value investor
* Assess a company’s value
* Make use of value investing resources
* Incorporate fundamentals and intangibles
* Make the most of funds, REITs, and ETFs
* Develop your own investing style
* Figure out what a financial statement is really telling you
* Decipher earnings and cash-flow statements
* Detect irrational exuberance in company publications
* Make a value judgment and decide when to buy
Making Millions For Dummies lays out in simple, easy-to-understand steps the best ways to achieve wealth. Through a proven methodology of saving, building a successful business, smart investing, and carefully managing assets, this up-front, reliable guide shows readers how to achieve millionaire or multimillionaire status. It provides the lowdown on making wise financial decisions, with guidance on managing investments and inheritances, minimizing taxes, making money grow, and, most important, how to avoid common and costly financial mistakes. Millionaire wannabes will see how to maintain financial security throughout their life with this easy-to-follow road map to financial independence. For individuals who yearn to make millions but don't want to be restricted to owning or running a business, the book features other options, such as inventing and patenting the next big thing, consulting, selling high-value collectibles, and flipping or owning real estate.
Day trading is undoubtedly the most exciting way to make money from home. It's also the riskiest. Before you begin, you need three things: patience, nerves of steel, and a well-thumbed copy of Day Trading For Dummies—the low-risk way to find out whether day trading is for you.
This plain-English guide shows you how day trading works, identifies its all-too-numerous pitfalls, and get you started with an action plan. From classic and renegade strategies to the nitty-gritty of daily trading practices, it gives you the knowledge and confidence you'll need to keep a cool head, manage risk, and make decisions instantly as you buy and sell your positions. Learn how to:
* Set up your accounts and your office
* Connect with research and trading services
* Plan and research trades carefully and thoroughly
* Comply with regulations issues and tax requirements
* Leverage limited capital
* Cope with the stress quick-action trading
* Sell short to profit from price drops
* Evaluate your day-trading performance
* Use technical and fundamental analysis
* Find entry and exit points
* Use short-term trading to establish a long-term portfolio
Do the terms personal finance or money management drudge up feelings of inadequacy, confusion, discomfort or fear in you? Personal Finance Workbook For Dummies helps you calm your negative feelings and get your financial house in order at the same time. And, you'll be amazed how easy it is to get on the road to financial fitness.
From spending and saving to investing wisely, this hands-on workbook walks you through a private financial counseling session and shows you how to assess your situation and manage your money. You'll learn how to use credit wisely, plan for large expenses, determine your insurance needs, and make smarter financial decisions. Plus, the featured worksheets and checklists help you manage your day-to-day spending and plan for a robust financial future. Discover how to:
* Take stock of your financial history and determine your net worth
* Build a personal financial plan that meets your saving and investing goals
* Develop good spending habits and get out of debt—without budgeting
* Explore your dreams, grow your wealth, and protect your assets
* Get the most out of your money
* Minimize your taxes
* Plan for big-ticket purchases
* Pay for your kids' college tuition
* Ensure a comfortable retirement
* Leave a substantial estate for your heirs
If you're considering bankruptcy, you need straightforward answers and reliable advice. This handy guide covers it all -- so you can get your finances in line and your life back on track. This updated new edition covers everything you need to know about the new bankruptcy law and includes even better resources. Don't get desperate -- get out of debt instead!
Discover how to
* Weigh the consequences of bankruptcy
* Manage your spending
* Find professional help you can trust
* Decide on the right type of bankruptcy
* Pass the means test
* Keep more of your stuff
# New information on the separate accounting and financial reporting standards for private/small businesses versus public/large businesses
# Updated information that reflects the 2007 law on international financial reporting standards
# New content to match SEC and other governmental regulatory changes over the past three years
# New information about how the analyst-corporate connection has actually changed the playing field
# The impact of corporate communications and new technologies
# New examples that reflect the current trends
# Updated websites and resources
Explore single-stock futures, ETFs, and alternative energy futures
Protect your assets and maximize your profits in this risky yet lucrative market
Want to take advantage of the futures market? This plain-English guide gives you the surefire strategies you need to be a successful trader, with up-to-the-minute advice on the various types of futures, conducting research, finding a broker, entering and exiting positions, and minimizing your losses. You also get bearish and bullish strategies and tips for trading online.
Discover how to:
* Understand trends in the global economy
* Use charting patterns and indicators
* Execute successful trades
* Set realistic goals
* Avoid common trading pitfalls
* Keep your downside risk under control
Do you know where you money goes? Would balancing your budget take an act of Congress? Does your idea of preparing for the future involve lottery tickets?
This friendly guide provides everything you need to know to stay on top of your finances and make the most of your money — both your cash and your Microsoft Money 2006 software program (the Premium, Deluxe, or Standard edition). You’ll find out how to record financial transactions, analyze different investments, determine your net worth, plan for retirement, make informed financial decisions, and more.
With step-by-step, easy-to-understand instructions and lots of screen shots, Microsoft Money 2006 For Dummies shows and tells you how to:
* Set up accounts and record all transactions, including charge card purchases
* Do your banking, categorize your spending and income, reconcile an account, print checks, and more
* Research and track investments
* Create a realistic budget, schedule bill payments, estimate your income tax bill, plan for retirement, and more
* Generate reports and charts that help you understand your spending habits, see where you stand financially, and improve your financial picture
* Track assets, liabilities, loans, and mortgages
* Use online banking services
你知道你的钱哪里么？您的预算是否平衡？傻瓜教您使用Microsoft Money 2006软件程序管理交易，分析不同的投资，核对你的净资产，设定退休计划，作出明智的财务决策，等等。
Technical analysis is a collection of techniques designed to help people make trading decisions. Technical Analysis For Dummies, 2nd Edition explains the basic principles and shows you how to apply these principles in an approachable and non-intimidating way.
Since the publication of the first edition of Technical Analysis For Dummies, readers have been faced with many changes to the investment landscape, such as new interest rates, looming bank crises, and adjusting market climates. This updated edition includes information on the new indicators, hands-on applications for real-world situations, as well as practical examples that reflect today's financial atmosphere.
* Determine how markets are performing and make decisions using real data
* Spot investment trends and turning points Improve your profits and your portfolio performance
If you're eager to take control of your investments but don't want to make it your full-time job, Investing Online For Dummies, 7th Edition will put you on your way. Completely updated to cover all the newest online tools and resources, this easy-to-understand guide gets you started with investing online and growing your online portfolio using the latest tools, information, and resources available. You'll learn to pick winning stocks, find an online broker, construct a profitable portfolio, research investment data online, and what considerations to take into account when making key decisions.
* Addresses critical issues for beginner investors, such as setting reasonable expectations, figuring out how much to invest, assessing how much risk is appropriate, and picking an online broker
* Pinpoints a variety of Web sites, online calculators, databases, and online communities that will help you make beneficial decisions
* Delves into using online tools to calculate returns and risk, selecting mutual funds with online databases, analyzing stocks and financial statements, and buying bonds online
Savvy traders can make money in both up and down markets. Trading For Dummies, Second Edition is for investors at all levels who are looking for a clear guide to successfully trading stocks in any type of market. It is also for investors who have experience trading and who are looking for new, proven methods to enhance the profitability of their investments. This no-nonsense guide presents a proven system for analyzing stocks, trends, and indicators and setting a buy-and-sell range beforehand to decrease risk in any type of market. It stresses the practice of position trading, conducting technical analysis on a company and its performance, and research methods that enable the trader to strategically select both an entry and exit point before a stock is even purchased. This updated guide features updated stock charts, position trading tips and techniques, and fresh ways to analyze trends and indicators.
Create an estate plan and protect your family's interests
Need a will, but have no idea where to start? This friendly guide shows youhow to prepare a legal will or trust — either on your own or with professional help — and ensure that your wishes are honored. You'll handle everything from planning your bequests and writing and signing a will to selecting a trust and drafting your durable power of attorney.
Discover how to:
Provide for your children
Hire and work with professionals
Minimize tax liabilities
Amend or revoke a will or trust
Avoid common estate planning mistakes
Buying a property abroad is one of the biggest decisions you'll ever make. But don't worry – your Spanish dream needn't become a nightmare. From finding an estate agent and arranging a mortgage to negotiating the best price and moving in, this book is packed with practical advice on every aspect of the Spanish property market. It leads you safely and simply through the legal, logistical, and financial minefields, helping you maximise your time and your money to enjoy a hassle-free property purchase.
The most comprehensive guide to property investment in Eastern Europe available. Whether you're buying a second home or looking to invest, the smart money is heading to Eastern Europe. Plan every aspect of your property investment with this expert guide that walks you step-by-step through the property market in 14 countries and helps you weigh up the rewards and the risks of choosing one location over another. Covering the purchasing procedures, legalities, taxes, economy, culture, lifestyle and business opportunities in each country, property expert Colin Barrow provides insider tips to help you make an informed choice and a wise investment. Colin Barrow has an extensive background in European property and works across a diverse range of related industries. He has researched most international property markets and has first hand experience of buying, building developing and selling over two hundred properties in overseas markets.
QuickBooks is the leading software package for small business accounting, updated each year so it remains cutting-edge. QuickBooks 2010 For Dummies provides all the information you need to start using the newest version in your business.
You'll learn to set up your business accounting functions on QuickBooks and use all the newest features. You'll be able to create budgets, process payroll, manage inventory and invoices, track job costs, balance accounts, and make things easier at tax preparation time.
* Shows you, in plain English, how to set up QuickBooks and manage your small business accounting on your own
* Explains how to set up your business on QuickBooks, create invoices and credit memos, record sales receipts, set up inventory items, and track business credit cards
* Covers recording and paying bills, printing checks, processing payroll, and preparing payroll taxes
* Discusses building a budget, going online with QuickBooks, balancing accounts, generating financial reports, simplifying tax return preparation, and backing up data
* Also explores job estimating, billing, and tracking jobs and invoices