范里安是微观经济学的大师，他编写的《微观经济学：现代观点》(Intermediate Micoeconomics)已经出了八版，成为经典的中级微观教材。这本书实际上就是《Intermediate Micoeconomics》的后续补充版本，实质上就是《高级微观经济学》。一般高级和中级之间的区别是数学的难易程度，高级微观使用的数学自然是最难的。高级微观用最为严谨的数学方法讲述经济问题，比初中级只用很少甚至不用数学，只给学习者一个初步的印象是一个质的飞跃。
Microeconomic Analysis has been a fixture of graduate programs in economics for fifteen years. It has held this position because it has the authority, the clarity, and the breadth necessary for a classic text. This new Third Edition continues to supply the building blocks of microeconomic analysis: a thorough treatment of optimization and equilibrium methods, coupled with numerous examples of their application.
The Third Edition expands on the earlier editions in two ways. First, the existing coverage has been rewritten and rearranged. Second, new chapters have been added on game theory, oligopoly, asset markets, and information economics. The rearrangement follows the model of Hal Varian's Intermediate Microeconomics: a number of short chapters, each devoted to a single topic. In fact, the topical division is as close as possible to that of the undergraduate text. This makes it easy to review undergraduate material before moving on to graduate material. The new chapters highlight significant developments in microeconomic theory in the last ten years at a level that is accessible for first-year graduate students.
* Emphasis on the dual approach to consumer and firm behavior.
* Integration of the modem analytic approach with classical price theory
* Analysis of economic behavior using classical methods of comparative statics, duality, and nonparametric methods.
* Emphasis on analytical techniques that are useful in applied research.
Highlights of the revision:
* New chapter on game theory that provides an appropriate introduction for first-year students.
* New chapter on oligopoly that features many of the recent developments in this area.
* New chapter on asset markets that describes "what every economist should know" about the theory of financial markets.
* New chapter on information economics that provides a unified treatment of incentives and markets in the presence of information asymmetries.
2 profit maximization
3 profit function
4 cost minimization
5 cost function
7 utility maximization
10 consumer's surplus
13 competitive markets
15 game theory
20 asset markets
21 equilibrium analysis
23 public goods