Mandriva Linux 2008 包含NTFS 写入支持、AppArmor、模块化的IDE驱动程序、新的无线设备堆栈、Linux kerne、GNOME 、KDE、X.org、Xfce、Compiz Fusion、Mozilla Firefox 、OpenOffice.org等.支持x86-32、x86-64架构。
（维基百科）Mandriva Linux 是一个以桌面应用为主的 Linux 作业系统，使用 RPM 为基础的套件和 KDE （目前也提供GNOME）桌面环境。
Mandriva Linux 的前身是欧洲最大的 Linux 厂商之一 Mandrakesoft 之产品 Mandrake Linux ，创建于1998年，其宗旨是让Linux对所有人都更易于使用。当时 Linux 作为操作系统已经以强大和稳定而著称，但它要求人们有很强的专业知识，并涉及大量的命令行操作。MandrakeSoft 认为这是一个将最好的图形桌面环境及其自己的图形界面配置工具集成到 Linux 中的机会，并且很快就因其树立了易用性和功能性的标准而著称。依靠这种创新的方法，Mandriva Linux 通过一种易于使用并令人愉快的环境，向个人和企业用户提供了 Linux 所有的强大功能和稳定性。每天都有成千上万的新用户在初识 Linux 并发现它可以完全替代他们之前所使用的操作系统。无论是作为服务器还是工作站，Linux 都用不著去妒嫉任何其他更广为采用的操作系统了。
Mandrake Linux 早期方便的字体安装工具和预设的中文支持，为 Linux 普及做出了很大的贡献。但是2004年前后 Mandrakesoft 陷入财务危机，濒临破产。公司於2005年2月24日与拉丁美洲最大的 Linux 厂商 Conectiva 达成了收购协议，金额为170万欧元，约合223万美元，以股票形式交易，新公司 Mandriva 旗下品牌 Mandrake Linux 更名为Mandriva Linux。
Mandriva 以 RPM 作为软体管理工具，部分相容 Red Hat Linux/Fedora Core 的预编译包。Mandriva Linux 的特点是：方便、高效、华丽。Mandriva Linux 目前的发行周期约为半年，在每年的4月和10月发行一个新的版本。
Mandriva Linux 2008 is coming this September. The planned schedule for pre-releases and the final release is here. The full, detailed technical specifications for the new release are here. This page provides a run down of the biggest new versions and features that will be coming with Mandriva Linux 2008. There will likely be other new features added as we move through the development cycle, but here's the stuff we're already pretty sure you'll be seeing in the next release.
Mandriva Linux 2008 includes the following versions of the major distribution components: kernel 2.6.22, X.org 7.2, KDE 3.5.7, GNOME 2.19.6, Mozilla Firefox 184.108.40.206, OpenOffice.org 2.2. Other major new features are the merging of the Beryl and Compiz 3D desktop technologies into Compiz Fusion, a new network management tool, a Windows documents and settings migration tool, and support for WPA-EAP. You can find an introduction to the most interesting new features in What's coming in Mandriva Linux 2008.
Mandriva Linux 2008 is the ultimate version of Mandriva Linux. It is the fruit of the convergence of three technologies: Mandriva, Conectiva and Lycoris.
Mandriva Linux 2008 is also more easy-to-use, more user-friendly and more powerful. It is ideal for the needs of all customers, from the beginner to the SOHO user.
Mandriva Linux 2008 is available in three editions: One, Powerpack and Free, for both i586 and x86-64 architectures. One and Free can be downloaded free of charge from official Mandriva mirrors and via BitTorrent.
Mandriva Linux (formerly known as Mandrake Linux) was created in 1998 with the goal of making Linux easier to use for everyone. At that time, Linux was already well-known as a powerful and stable operating system.
With this innovative approach, Mandriva offers all the power and stability of Linux to both individuals and professional users in an easy-to-use and pleasant environment. Thousands of new users are discovering Linux each and every day and finding it a complete replacement for their previous operating system. Linux as a server or workstation has no reason to be jealous of any other more established operating systems.
Free/Open Source Free Software licensing govern the development and redistribution of Mandriva Linux. FOSS licensing provides everyone the right to copy, distribute, examine, modify and improve the system as long as the results of these modifications are returned to the community. It is this development model that allows Mandrivalinux Linux to collect the best ideas from developers & users from across the globe to result in a rich variety of techniques and solutions.
Here are some key features of "Mandriva Linux":
· A computer running the Mandriva Linux operating system can be as easy to use as a computer which uses Windows or Mac OS -- a fact which has been Confirmed by many IT publications. CNET (a popular technical online magazine) awarded Mandrivalinux Linux their "Editor's Choice" saying: "New users, especially those looking for a quick and easy alternative to Windows or the Mac OS, will be hard pressed to find a smoother, easier transition to the world of Linux."
· For comparison, the Mandriva Linux PowerPack contains thousands high-quality applications including a complete Office Suite, plus installation support, for a cost of approximately 10 times less than the equivalent Microsoft Windows + MS Office cost, which comes without any technical support.
· Mandriva Linux requires little maintenance as its software management system automatically handles dependency issues and avoids conflicts between applications. Additionally, the MandrivaUpdate utility allows free and easy updates through the Internet -- this is an ideal way to stay current with the latest security-related software updates.
· Due to the strength of Linux, a typical Mandriva Linux system can run for months without a reboot. Additionally, the i586 version of Mandrivalinux Linux is optimized for Pentium class (and compatible processors) to provide the highest performance on this hardware.
· In over ten years of widespread use, only a few rumored viruses have ever been recorded that affect Linux. This strong immunity can be explained by the fundamental architecture of the system which consists of independent layers that have specific features and strict permissions. Additionally, normal users have a strict and limited role on a Linux system; it's only the "root" user (administrator) who has the power to expose an entire system to possible danger.
· Versions exist for x86, PPC, AMD64 and IA64.
Differences with other Linux operating systems:
· With a graphical installation process recognized by many as the best available, Mandriva Linux offers the most advanced and efficient hardware detection.
· A graphical approach to system administration, in addition to the command line, makes Mandriva Linux the operating system which takes integration and management of a user interface the furthest to dispel the image of a Linux system managed only via command line or text mode.
· Friendly and integrated environments
· Perfect integration of user-friendly graphical environments such as KDE and GNOME provide comfort and ease-of-use.
· Several pre-configured security levels
· Mandriva Linux offers several pre-configured levels of security. A user can therefore choose a desired degree of security specifically for their computer.
· Centralized configuration system
· Thanks to the Mandriva Linux Control Center, a user can resort to a single panel to administer the entire system.
Who uses Mandriva Linux?
· Individual users without specific IT knowledge who require a Linux distribution that is simple to use. Mandriva Linux is by far the easiest and the most comprehensive.
· Experienced users who prefer not spending hours installing and configuring their Linux machine. Mandriva Linux is the most effortless Linux system to install and maintain.
· Professionals who need powerful and stable systems. Mandriva Linux is one of the most complete Linux distributions and is quickly becoming one of the most favored systems in businesses (see Mandriva's customer case studies for many examples of Mandriva in the workplace).
A few examples of how Mandriva Linux is being used :
· Office (OpenOffice.org, KOffice, Abiword, Gnumeric)
· Internet (Web, Email...)
· Multimedia (Video, Audio MP3, RealPlayer, Flash player...)
· 2D and 3D games
· Advanced programming (C/C++/Java/Assembler/Perl/Python/HTML/PHP/GTK/QT)
· Web server (Apache with HTTP, PHP, Webdav...): Mandriva Linux is used to operate computers that deliver web pages.
· Database Server (PostgreSQL, MySQL, IBM DB2, Oracle...)
Mandriva Linux is a useful operating system for computers designed to host database and to link them with Internet servers.
· LDAP Server
A LDAP server stocks one or various directory data bases.
· FTP Server
FTP Server are the computers that deliver files following the FTP protocol.
· DNS Server
A DNS server attributes the IP addresses (numeric addresses) of computers linked to the Internet.
· NIS Server
A NIS Server enables the globalization of user accounts on a given network
· File Server in a Windows environment
Mandriva Linux manages the attribution and sending of files in a network of computers running on Windows thanks to the Samba application
· Email Internet Server (SMTP, POP3, IMAP...)
Mandriva Linux is used in companies and on the Internet to manage employees' electronic mail.
· Print Server
Mandriva Linux administers printing services for all machines in the computer network.
· Scientific calculations (SMP, Clusters...)
Mandriva Linux is widely applauded by organizations and all those who need to carry out scientific calculations. Its optimization for modern processors gives Mandrivalinux Linux a significant advantage in comparison to other Linux systems.