The songs on this collection were carefully chosen to show off the best of country gospel from artists who have often shown their deep-seated faith with their music whether it was 'gospel' or not. Many of the songs on this collection charted on the country charts, and one went to #3 on the pop charts (Elvis Presley's "Crying in the Chapel"). No matter what one's faith might be, there is little doubt the music on this disc is beautiful.
From the 1935 recording of the Carter Family's original "Can The Circle Be Unbroken" and Hank Williams' toe-tapping, heartfelt "I Saw The Light" to Vince Gill's heartbreaking tribute to his brother, "Go Rest High On That Mountain," the beauty and emotion in these tunes comes through. Listening to a very young Ralph Stanley sing "Angel Band" is a treat for those who are only familiar with the elderly gentleman of "O Brother" fame; and Red Foley's bluesy rendition of "Peace in the Valley" was so definitive the same arrangement was later used by Elvis Presley for his gospel recordings. Speaking of Elvis, I realize "Crying in the Chapel" was chosen because it was his highest-charting gospel song, but personally speaking, Elvis's most powerful gospel recording to my mind is "How Great Thou Art," and that doesn't mean any offense to Connie Smith, who delivers that hymn with great passion here.
From Johnny Cash to Tammy Wynette, Willie Nelson to The Statler Brothers, this disc is a beautiful treat for all lovers of country gospel music.
01. Allison Krauss & The Cox Family / I Know Who Holds Tommorow [0:05:05.00]
02. Vince Gill / Go Rest High On That Mountain [0:05:15.45]
03. Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstad & Dolly Parton / Farther Along [0:04:10.15]
04. Ricky Skaggs / Children Go [0:02:28.52]
05. Tammy Wynette / Precious Memories [0:02:42.45]
06. Willie Nelson / Uncloudy Day [0:04:41.68]
07. The Statley Brothers / Amazing Grace [0:05:15.50]
08. Dolly Parton / Coat of Many Colors [0:03:05.25]
09. Merle Haggard / Precious Lord, Take My Hand - Jesus Hold My Right Hand [0:03:21.52]
10. Connie Smith / How Great Thou Art [0:04:13.60]
11. Johnny Cash & The Carter Family / Were You There (When They Crucified My Lord) [0:03:55.38]
12. Elvis Presley / Crying In the Chapel [0:02:28.00]
13. Ferlin Husky / Wings of A Dove [0:02:20.25]
14. Patsy Cline / Life's Railway to Heaven [0:02:54.00]
15. Jim Reeves / In the Garden [0:02:20.00]
16. Tennessee Ernie Ford / The Old Rugged Cross [0:02:46.00]
17. Red Foley With The Sunshine Boys / Peace In the Valley [0:03:14.00]
18. The Stanley Brothers & The Clinch Mountain Boys / Angel Band [0:02:18.37]
19. The Carter Family / Can the Circle Be Unbroken [0:03:08.38]
20. Hank Williams Sr. / I Saw the Light [0:02:43.21]